I love dips! I love the creamy texture, and I love that sort of tapas way of eating it. Hummus is one of my forever obsessions. There are many delicious variations but nothing is as tasty as the traditional hummus recipe.
The first time I’ve ever tried was in Egypt. Hummus is traditionally from North African and Middle Eastern countries. It is very simple and fast to do. All you need is 5 ingredients and no more than 5 minutes: chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Some condiments can be added such as salt, cumin and paprika.
You can eat it as a dip, as part of a mezze, like tapas, as a spread or even as a sauce. You can eat it with bread, carrot and cucumber strips, with a salad, etc.any version is, I dare say, delicious and amazing.
Get all your ingredients.
Don’t forget the lemon juice! It is the one giving the twist to the flavour!
Put all the ingredients in the food processor, squeeze the juice of half lemon, add any condiment you would wish and blend all. I love to add some cumin to my hummus. Help to blend by adding a bit of water (don’t add too much as it will become too liquid).
Prepare your veggies or bread or any other food you want to eat your hummus with.
Such as pitta bread…
… Or carrots strips.
Et voilà! Serve it in a concave plate, and decorate it with olive oil and sprinkled paprika, and enjoy it.
Plant-based (vegan), lactose-free, gluten-free, soy-free
Level of difficulty: very easy
Preparation time: 5 – 10 min
- 250g of chickpeas
- 2 1/2 tbsp of tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Olive oil
- Any other condiment you wish: salt, cumin, paprika
- If you’re using canned chickpeas, rinse them well in running water. If not, soak your chickpeas overnight and boil them in water and salt.
- Add in a food processor the chickpeas, tahini, garlic, olive oil and all the condiments. Squeeze the juice of half lemon and blend all. If your food processor isn’t the most efficient, add carefully and gradually water to add to blend. Be cautious to don’t add too much as it will become liquid.
- Once you have a homogeneous cream, serve it. You can ornament you dish by topping it with olive oil and paprika.
- Prepare your veggies (such as carrot and cucumber strips, lettuce leaves), or your bread, or anything else you might want to eat your hummus with.