At the beginning, there was the dressing. While preparing a quick lunch without thinking too much about how I would do it, I spontaneously mixed tahini, lemon juice and garam masala. As soon as I tried some, I was thrilled by this dressing and knew I would make it again. Next was the salad. At this time of the year, I can buy local organic salad in different colors and shapes everywhere. This is why I chose to combine the dressing with some green salad. Then, I started adding more ingredients until the dish was complete. This oriental salad has so many intense flavors that complement each other excellently. On a hot summer day, it constitutes a perfect lunch. You can prepare it in the evening before and take it to work. I recommend you to look for a suntrap and enjoy it outdoors. 😉
Here is the recipe:
Saok the chickpeas overnight. Then, cook them with fresh water and without salt. As soon as they are cooked, you can fry them in a frying pan with 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt. They should become crispy and shiny.
While the chickpeas are cooking, you can chop the onion and cut the carrots into thin slices. Fry both in a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
Peel the pistachios, roast the raisins in a frying pan on low heat and chop the parsley.
For the dressing, you first need to squeeze the lemon. If you want it less sour, you can also use only half a lemon and a little more water instead. Pour the lemon juice into a glass. Add the tahini and stir well until you get a thick and homogeneous mass. Then, add 4 tbsp water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp garam masala, stirring again. We explain you what garam masala is in our article of the spicy beans with cashew sour cream.
Now wash and chop the green salad. Distribute it into four plates. Of course, you can use more than four plates, if you want smaller portions.
On every salad, you can first pour some dressing. Afterwerds, cover it with the carrots and the chickpeas. Sprinkle some roasted raisins, pistachios, parsley and black caraway on top.
This is how beautiful and colorful the salad looks like when it’s ready to eat.
ORIENTAL GREEN SALAD WITH CHICKPEAS AND TAHINI LEMON DRESSING
gluten-free, lactose-free, soy-free, plant-based (vegan)
Level of difficulty: easy
For the salad
- 150 g/5.3 oz chickpeas
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp oil
- 1 large green salad
- 4 carrots
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 4 tbsp pistachios (roasted and salted)
- 1 tsp black caraway
- 1 bunch of parsley
For the dressing
- 4 tbsp tahini (more about it in this article)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp garam masala (more about it in this article)
- Soak the chickpeas overnight. Cook them with fresh water and without salt. Then, fry them in a frying pan with 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Chop the onion and cut the carrots into thin slices. Fry both in a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Peel the pistachios, roast the raisins on low heat and chop the parsley.
- Squeeze the lemon and pour the juice into a glass. Add the tahini and stir well. Then, add 4 tbsp water, the garam masala and 1 tsp salt.
- Now you can wash and chop the green salad. Put it into four plates. Pour the dressing over the green salad. Then, cover it with the carrots and the chickpeas. Sprinkle some roasted raisins, pistachios, parsley and black caraway on top.
Here you can get the recipe as a PDF for free:
Are you a salad lover or not? How do you like my oriental creation?
P.S. We would be glad if you share the recipe on social media in case you like it.