I hope you’re all enjoying spring. Spring is my favorite season of the year. I love how everything is starting to grow and live again. Furthermore, I really enjoy those sunny days that are not too hot yet, but still refreshing. Among others, nature offers us wild garlic that has the potential to transform any dish even if you add only a small amount thanks to its strong flavor. Today, I show you how I use it in a super creamy white sauce that tastes awesome combined with homemade lentil balls.
Soak the cashews overnight or at least one hour.
For the lentil balls, you’ll need red lentils.
Cook them for approx. 15 min. Their consistency often turns into a mash, which is totally fine. Make sure that the boiling water evaporates and let and let them cool down for a moment.
Chop the onion and one garlic toe. Fry them in a frying pan using 1 tbsp of oil.
Add the cumin seeds and roast them on middle heat.
Then, add the oats and stir well.
Before the oats start to burn, mix them with the lentils. Add 1 tsp of salt and some pepper.
Blend it all together.
Form balls out of the resulting mass. They should have the size of table tennis balls.
Fry the lentil balls in a large frying pan with approx. 2 tbsp of oil.
Throw away the cashews’ soaking water. Then, blend the cashews with 500 ml fresh water and 1 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil in a small pot, while constantly stirring and blend them again, so to reach a creamy and smooth consistency.
Wash the wild garlic.
Put them in a food processor together with one garlic toe and one carrot.
Chop it all together.
Fry this mixture in a large frying pan with 1 tbsp of oil.
Pour the cashew sauce into that frying pan.
This is how the sauce looks like when it’s ready.
You can now pour this sauce over the lentil balls.
I recommend serving this dish with root vegetables baked in the oven.
LENTIL BALLS WITH WILD GARLIC SAUCE
soy-free, lactose-free, plant-based (vegan, gluten-free
Level of difficulty: intermediate
For the lentil balls
- 150 g/5.3 oz red lentils
- 100 g/3.5 oz oats (gluten-free, if necessary)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic toe
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp frying oil
- black pepper
For the wild garlic sauce
- 70 g/2.5 oz fresh wild garlic
- 1 garlic toe
- 1 carrot
- 1 tbsp frying oil
- 100 g/3.5 oz cashews
- Soak the cashews overnight or for at least one hour.
- Cook the red lentils until they are soft.
- Chop the onion and one garlic toe and fry this with 1 tbsp of frying oil. Add the cumin seeds and then the oats, constantly stirring. Mix this with the lentils. Add 1 tsp of salt and some black pepper before you blend it all together.
- Form balls out of the resulting mass and fry them in a frying pan with approx. 2 tbsp of oil.
- Throw away the cashews’ soaking water. Blend the cashews with 500 ml fresh water and 1 tsp of salt. Bring this to a boil in a small pot, while constantly stirring. Blend it again, in order to get a creamy sauce.
- Chop the wild garlic, the garlic toe and the carrot in a food processor. Fry this with 1 tbsp of oil and add the cashew sauce. Throw this sauce over the fried lentil balls.
Enjoy your meal! ?
P.S. If you like the recipe, please like it and share it on social media. Thank you!