I absolutely love summer veggies. I’ve been growing loads of spinach in my garden as well as aubergine (bigger and bigger every day) and squash. And what a good combo of ingredients that is, right? That’s what today’s recipe is all about: a spinach Esparregado with Butternut squash & Aubergine deliciousness. A combo that I love, that is easy to prepare and it sort of reminds me of my childhood due to the Esparregado.
Every summer holidays my mom used to cook her best dishes. One of those that I loved is called ‘Esparregado’, a sort of side dish, known in English as a sort of a spinach mousse or mashed spinach. I have to admit that the translation doesn’t make justice to the deliciousness that this dish is, so I prefer to call it by the original name. Not too long ago I remembered about it and I decided to give it a go and try to do it myself, and it turned out very well and incredibly delicious, especially when is accompanying roasted squash and aubergine.
Spinach is an absolutely great source of iron, vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, as well as folate, manganese and magnesium. This vegetable tends to benefit the quality of our blood. Vitamin K, for example, is present in dark leafy greens such as spinach and promotes blood clotting. Remember Popeye, the sailor that when in trouble would eat a tin of spinach and become super strong? Well, although slightly exaggerated, it reflects the importance of this veggie. This recipe offers not only a great way of eating spinach but also combines the bitterness of this leafy green with the sweetness of the squash and aubergine.
Here’s the recipe:
Gather all the ingredients you need for this recipe
Start by chopping the aubergine and squash. Add a dash of olive oil and salt. and mix all well with your hands. Pop them in the oven for 40 min for 190Cº.
Golden garlic in olive oil.
Add the spinach to the frying pan with a dash of water and let it cook until they reduce size. Don’t forget the nutmeg.
Gradually and slowly add the flour and plant-based milk, stirring without stopping.
It is important that you add those ingredients gradually whilst stirring constantly to avoid the creation of unwanted lumps of flour and to avoid it to burn or stick to the pan. You will see that the spinach will start softening and blending in the milk and flour. Keep stirring until it becomes creamy. Then you know it’s ready!
Serve the roasted veggies and the esparregado. Sprinkle all with mixed seeds.
ESPARREGADO WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH & AUBERGINE
Plant-based (vegan), soy-free, lactose-free, gluten-free
Level of difficulty: medium
Preparation time: 1h
- 350g/12.3oz of spinach
- 30g/1oz of corn flour
- 1 glass of almond milk
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 aubergine
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- Mixed seeds
- Olive oil
- Chop the aubergine in cube shape pieces
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and chop it into cube-shape pieces
- Put the aubergine and squash in a tray. Add a dash of olive oil and a pinch of salt and mix all with your hands.
- Pre-heat the oven in 190Cº for 5 minutes and put it in the oven to bake for 40 minutes at the same temperature.
- 20 minutes before the veggies are cooked, start preparing the Esparregado. Start off by golden sliced garlic in olive oil in a high frying pan for 2 minutes
- Add the spinach to the pan with a dash of water.
- Once they reduce the size to add a tsp of nutmeg, a bit of the milk and a tbsp of flour whilst mixing with a spoon.
- Keep mixing and gradually and slowly add the rest of the milk and flour. It is important that you add those ingredients gradually whilst stirring constantly to avoid the creation of unwanted lumps of flour and to avoid it to burn or stick to the pan. You will see that the spinach will start softening and blending in the milk and flour. Keep stirring until it becomes creamy. Then you know it’s ready!
- Remove the veggies from the oven. Serve them in a plate or bowl accompanied by the Esparregado. Sprinkle all with a seeds mix for a nutritional boost and some crunchiness.
- Enjoy! 🙂
If you like this recipe, share it on social media and give us your feedback! 🙂