I hope you are all well. I’m sitting with Prospi in a bar in Porto and listening to an outdoor concert while writing this article. Since we arrived in Porto, we have been living Real Life to it’s fullest: Family, friends, interesting conversations, walks, sea air, great food, port wine,… Regarding the blog recipes, we started making videos before our holidays. In the latest recipe video we published just before leaving I show you how to do our popular homemade Nutella. You can watch it on our Youtube channel.
Two weeks ago, I’ve started a post series called “Cheap & Healthy” with a baked potatoes recipe. Today I want to show you another cheap, healthy, vegan and super easy dinner, that is light and perfect for summer evenings!
The recipes belonging to this post series are caracterised by the following criteria:
- For me, cheap means that they cost less than 4 Swiss francs (e.g. 4 USD) per person. They are suitable for 4 servings, so the maximum price of the needed ingredients is 16 Swiss francs.
- Under healthy I understand that the recipes contain high quality organic ingredients. They are composed of vegetables, sources of proteins, good fats as well as potatoes or wholegrain cereals. Hence, they are very nutritious. In my opinion, they offer your body exactly what it needs.
- As you know, Prospi and I are on a plant-based diet. So the recipes are all vegan.
- The preparation is very easy.
- To simplify you the grocery purchase, I prepare shopping lists.
Today’s dinner is a classic delicious carrot ginger soup combined with avocado crispbread. To get the ingredients, you need to go to Migros (for the non-Swiss: this is one of Switzerlands most important supermarket chains).
Shopping list(for Migros):
|2 (approx. 200 g) potatoes, organic||0.60 Swiss francs||pack at 1 kg: 2.90 Swiss francs|
|10 g fresh ginger, organic||max. 0.50 Swiss francs||a small piece of fresh ginger costs approx. 1.00 Swiss francs|
|600 g carrots, organic||2.80 Swiss francs||pack at 1 kg: 4.60 Swiss francs|
|1 (approx. 50 g) onion, organic||0.30 Swiss francs||pack at 500 g: 2.90 Swiss francs|
|200 g crispbread, organic||2.25 Swiss francs||pack at 200 g|
|1 avocado, organic||2.90 Swiss francs||1 piece|
|olive oil, salt, pepper, spices (optional)||max. 1.00 Swiss francs||is part of the standard stocks and doesn’t have to be bought|
|TOTAL||10.35 Swiss francs for 4 servings
2.60 Swiss francs per serving
|Shopping total: 16.55 Swiss francs|
Some remarks concerning the shopping list:
- There are some foods you can only buy in larger quantities. In the right-hand column you see the price for a whole pack. The number at the bottom on the right represents the price you pay for the whole purchase. But there will be leftovers, as you won’t need everything for the recipe.
- I consider olive oil, salt and pepper as part of the standard stocks of every household. Therefore, I don’t list them at the right-hand bottom. In the middle column, you find an estimated price. So the effectively needed amount figures in the price. I usually buy unrefined sea salt and organic olive oil and pepper.
- The prices of the vegetables vary according to the season and the Migros branch. I refer to the current prices on(Migros online shop).
CARROT GINGER SOUP WITH AVOCADO CRISPBREAD
Cut the carrots and the potatoes into pieces. Then, chop the oinion and fry it with sufficient oil and salt in a large pot. Add the carrot and potatoe pieces as well as the ginger and stir well. Cover this mixture with water and let it simmer for a while. When the vegetables are smooth, blend them to a soup. If you want, you can add some spices (e.g. dill, parsley or curry powder). Smash the inner part of an avocado and spread it on the crispbreads. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top.
We just love to have this wonderful and light meal for dinner at summer days!